Tips for dance clubs and instructors

Organisational stuff

How to deal with bands and DJs


Welcoming new members



How about --

>> "Swing dancers should leave the floor and let the waltzers waltz when a
>> waltz is being played."

>... the spot dancers should be at the center of the floor and the
>traveling dancers dance around them.

>... I tend to think its unreasonable for spot dancers to want to
>take to the center of the floor when the floor is already over crowded

[Peter Renzland Peter at Dancing dot Org ]

Also, check out the following links:


This section is collected from a number of usenet posts. For obvious reasons I have omitted all names.

Someone writes:

Do you need to carry liability insurance if you're to throw a dance party? One of the ballroom that I am considering renting space for the party; the owner told me just "be careful", since they do not carry liability insurance.


The owner is crazy. Anybody who hosts dances and doesn't have the proper insurance is asking for trouble. Accidents can happen, even if people are very "careful." Our club is non-profit, but we carry liability insurance for all our dance events. We also have directors and officers insurance to protect our board members from being sued as individuals for actions taken on behalf of the club.


Perhaps the owner just meant that his insurance covers him, but does not cover other people. This is hardly surprising--a landlord's insurance often covers the landlord but not the tenant. If you live in an apartment and a ceiling fixture falls onto a guests toe, the landlord's insurance covers it; but if you pour boiling hot water on the guests lap, I can assure you, the landlord's insurance does not cover it. It is no different here.

Yet another:

I'm not a lawyer, but have been in businesses where this stuff matters so I have some idea of what happens. It would depend on how the hall is leased out. If the leasee doesn't agree to indemnify the lessor, the owner is still liable for any injuries. Usually the injured party would sue everyone and the deepest pocket would pay (i.e. the one with the most money). In any case, you should get your own liability insurance. There is such a thing as special event coverage. You really would be taking a chance without coverage. Check with your insurance broker.

More thoughts:

When I ran competitions, I found that most venues carry liability insurance. However, that insurance generally excludes athletic activities - basically, it excludes the competitors. We either purchased separate event insurance, or more recently, contributed to and been covered by the USABDA competition insurance policy. We've also been pretty strict about making sure the competitors sign their waiver forms, though that in itself does not provide complete protection.

My understanding as a nonlawyer is that your liability is considerably reduced if you are not running a commercial event - that is, if you are not charging people for coming to the party. Most people don't worry too much about liability insurance at their wedding receptions, for example.

If you are charging money, look into event insurance or look for another venue.

Here are some leads where to get insurance:

You can get Dance Instructors Insurance and also pay your ASCAP and BMI fees through the American Callers Assn. It is about $190 per year for under 60 students per week. American Callers Association
P.O. Box 2406
Muscle Shoals, AL 35662
fax (205)383-7583

You might try contacting Markel Insurance Company
4600 Cox Road Glen Allen, Va. 23060-9817.
This company specializes in insurance for dance studios and dance entities. They should be able to help. We have found them reasonable in price.

You might try Albert H. Wholers Insurance. I think they are in Park Ridge, IL. They provide liability insurance for the Internation Association of Round Dance Teachers (usually known as Roundalab).

This file is part of the FAQ list for the newsgroup The FAQ list is being maintained by Victor Eijkhout (victor at eijkhout dot net, talk about vanity), who appreciates being sent additions or corrections on the material in this collection. Copyright 1994/5/6/7/8/9/2000 lies with the maintainer and the contributors of various parts.

Listen up: Victor did not write most of this stuff; he just collected it. So don't send him any dance questions.

You may link to this page and make copies for private use in any form, but reproduction in any means, including book or CDROM, is not allowed without permission from the copyright holder. When linking, the page may not be displayed in a frame: use the full window, or open a new one.

It goes without saying that the maintainer of this FAQ takes no responsibility for any inaccuracies in the information presented here or for any use or abuse of this information. The maintainer is neither a doctor nor a lawyer.

Last modified on: Saturday, October 9, 1999.